Tuesday, July 29, 2014

"Pioneers Sang as They Walked and Walked and Walked"

For FHE the boy and girl wanted to talk about pioneers. I asked what they already knew about pioneers and they busted out in this song. They sang it over and over while walking and walking and walking through the house.


While they sang it over and over and over while walking and walking (Are you picking up how often and for how long this took place?) I pulled a few things out of recycling bin and kitchen to have the babies make a pioneer wagon to help them think about the struggles pioneers had as they walked and walked and walked. They finally stopped singing once I placed this stuff on the floor. (Phew, that song was driving me nuts! That's bad/insensitive to say I know. I'm very thankful for Pioneers and their endurance through challenging times. I promise.)


It was fun to watch them think through this activity. Trying to get their creative juices flowing at first was hard, but then I gave a few hints.  Afton was pretty inquisitive, but just was having a hard time with attaching the wheels so that they could roll. Jack gave up and wanted to do destroy it, but Afton talked him out of it, quickly by reminding him to “think about the pioneers." (He destroyed it later that night and made it into a sled for his scripture study buddy, Tiger Tiger and Bullseye. This meant it return back to a plain, old, recyclable, regular box.)


Our treat that night was Afton's Pioneer butter she made at church! She was so proud.
I am thankful for the bravery, strength, and faith those men, women, and children endured back then. 
It's inspiration to me to endure to the end.


Happy Pioneer Day everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment