Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Popcorn Popping

On Afton's way to school Monday I asked what her favorite church song was. She said she couldn't decide between "I Like to Look for Rainbows," "Do As I'm Doing," "Families Can Be Together Forever," and "Popcorn Popping." 

I told her that if she gets nervous on her first day of Kindergarten (for the second time) to just sing one of these songs in her head to help her relax. Then, I found myself singing the "Popcorn Popping" song all day. I wasn't nervous or anything, but it was just stuck in my head.
   


At dinner that night, we were discussing our day and Afton and Jack both shared stories about something that someone did for them that was nice. Then within seconds, they started arguing over the last piece of chicken. Like a ridiculously loud argument, SO I just started singing at the top of my lungs, "Popcorn Popping on the Being Nice Tree!"

They stopped arguing, looked at me puzzled, and quickly informed me I was singing it wrong. I knew I was and I told them it was a remix! (I could do that since their daddy's family member somehow, Betty Lou Cooney, wrote the music for the original version in 1924!)

It then lead to our FHE for the night. How could we go from being so nice to each other and having such a nice conversation to little heathen children so quickly?

I made these little sheets for us. We did one as a family where we discussed ways that we can be nice to one another, be it in our family, our classroom, our neighborhood, at church, or anywhere. They had great ideas and we wrote them on our popcorn kernels, then glued them on our bare tree trunk and admired it proudly! :)



Then they got their own tree. They had to decide people that they can be nice to and write it on their own little popcorn kernels. This was really simple and fun.




Our treat was of course POPCORN! 

Jack thought "We could take this to a friend's house to be nice and share our popcorn."


I LOVE that he wanted to do this so I made a few more copies, stuck in a little note explaining what to do, and we dropped it off at a friend's house. Now they can have a fun and simple FHE about Popcorn Popping on the Being Nice Tree!

No comments:

Post a Comment