Tuesday, September 9, 2014

#didyouthinktopray

I don't like the whole # nonsense. Call me old-fashioned/lame! My sweet nieces and nephews have tried to help me see it's value and importance, but whatever. Forgive me, but I prefer to spell my words still in proper word format as opposed to a big group of letters stuck together. (I'm already turning into my technology-hating mother. Ha, that was sooner then expected. Oh well.)

Anyhow, my babies and I have been watching clips on The Mormon Channel on our Roku before bedtime some nights, and Afton and Jack both have their favorites. (Great way to help them wind down along with reading our scriptures.)

Jack loves the train cartoon based on an experience from Dieter F. Uchtdorf's childhood, that is very well done.

A Mother's Hope


Afton loves the clip titled #didyouthinktopray. We have watched both of them many times in the last few weeks and we always seem to have a good, simple discussion right before bed about prayer. I love it.



After singing/butchering (I am so bad at singing) the song "Did You Think to Pray?" AND watching the clip, AGAIN, we talked about times they have prayed. 

We discussed certain times in their life that they've prayed on their own, as well as when we do it as a family. We talked about how we feel when we pray and after we pray. We talked about what prayer really is, a way to communicate with our loving Heavenly Father. I think it helped my babies continue to build their simple testimonies about prayer.

I know they have one. I've caught them praying over their food before they eat lunch outside on the trampoline while I'm still in the house grabbing something. I've seen them stop and pray to help themself find a lost toy. I've seen them pray for each other when one of them gets an ouchie.  I've seen them remind our neighbors and friends that we need to bless the food, even when we've been invited as guests to dinner.


I'm going to just make a little book (Dollar Store photo album) of blank pages that read "I pray when...". I'll encourage the kids to fill out one of these sheets whenever they felt that it was really important for them to pray during their day. Then from time to time, we can discuss this for FHE again and re-read the times in our past that we've prayed. I hope this little book will be something helpful and meaningful to them. Something that they'll think back on as adults from their childhood. (Fingers crossed.)




They know the power of prayer. I hope they remember it's value and importance as they grow older and their lives become more challenging. That's when I really hope they think to themselves #didyouthinktopray?


No comments:

Post a Comment