Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Hidden Word

"Mom this activity has changed my life." 

These words are just what any parent, that used to be a teacher, wants to hear from her children, the most important students that she has EVER taught. However, only one of my children (the girl) said that during this activity today. The other child said, "Mom, this is boring. Hey look there's a dog. Can I go make some gabloons? (Balloons.)" Man I hope he doesn't have ADHD. :)

Materials:
White paper
White Crayon
Watercolors

I first drew some fun pictures of things my babies really enjoy. (Dog & Ball for Jack - Girl & Crown for Afton) They had to discover the hidden image that was named in the hidden word below.

Dog is almost visible, but I promise there really were hidden pictures for them to find. 
The pictures just didn't turn out so well. :(

Then once I got them interested in this activity, I hit them with the learning portion. Jack had letters to practice identifying. (He did pretty well. He knew A, B, L, P, R.) Afton had to read her words and then match them with their opposites. I was shocked to hear Afton read the word out loud and then have Jack shout out the opposite for her to find. (I didn't know that he knew opposites so well.) Afton would get angry with him for helping. "I am older then you. I don't need your help. I am supposed to tell you the answers, Jack!" And basically she has his whole life, which is why I was shocked he knew so many opposites. 
Yay Jack Boy!

Letters
Opposites

Fun and easy activity. I had no idea it would be so life changing!


No comments:

Post a Comment