Thursday, March 23, 2017

In the Blink of an Eye

Most days when I run, my mind gets a lot of stuff done - to do lists updated, lessons I'm teaching at church or for FHE, planning something for my babes, etc.

But today's run was much different. As I ran, I could not turn my thoughts from families that have had their lives changed in the blink of an eye. Sadly, it all hit me again today.

And as I ran, I sobbed. Face covered in sweat and tears.

Just over a year ago, I lost my good friend to her second battle with cancer. She was an amazing grandmother, loving mother, and supportive wife. Memories of fun times with her pop up on my Facebook, reminding me that she might be physically gone, but I know she's still with me. Her name was Bobi.

Just after moving from Las Vegas, we found out our neighbor, who was a scary history teacher from my high school years growing up, but in actuality was an awesome man in my adult years, was diagnosed with cancer and his chances don't look great. But he's hopeful, and so are we. His name is Keith.

Back in August, a young mother I grew up with, in young women's, student council, teenage years together, lost her oldest son just before he turned 8 years old to cancer. His name was Wesley.

A couple months ago, my cousin's friends lost their sweet little boy, at the age of 2 to cancer. His eyes were mesmerizing and he had the sweetest little smile. His name was Brady.

A few days ago, we found out that my brother-in-law's sister was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She is a mother of 4. She fought to become a mother, having to adopt them all. She loves those kids with her whole heart, and although I'm not close with her, I know that in the few times we visited, that she is an amazing, strong-willed, determined, and patient individual. She is a fighter and will continue to be just that. She has a love for family, and that family is there supporting her in every way they can right now. I have always loved to read her posts on Facebook and see the fun adventures she has in her life with her babies, sisters, family, and friends. Her name is Edie.

As I ran, I could not escape each of these sweet faces from overloading my mind. How each of them, personally, and for those who loved them, had their lives change in the blink of an eye.

For these sweet people who have lost the battle and who will continue to fight, I will do my best to not take for granted the things I have in life. I'm thankful for the knowledge that I have of eternal families but that doesn't keep us from feeling sadness at times.

I will cherish everyday, every moment, every encounter - be it good or bad, everything that I'm blessed with because I know that everything can change in the blink of an eye.


Amusement park on a Wednesday. 
Enjoying my tiny babes, my life and theirs every chance I get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment