Wednesday, January 17, 2018

On Wednesdays

Last week I heard this exact sentence come from my oldest daughter's mouth.

"On Wednesdays, we wear heels Mom."



I held in my laughter, as I pictured Regina George, and then asked, if it was wise to wear heels in 40° weather without tights. And not to mention that the tights will protect her feet from blisters that she gets everytime she wears these specific heels.

She assured me it was fine. "I have on my cute warm sweater, my undershirt, my fleece leggings, my cute jean shorts, and my wedge heels. They're cute mom. My feet will be fine. Plus I have a jacket."

3 hours later, I received a phone call from my daughter in tears. She had blisters on her feet, but assured me she was warm enough. She just wondered if I could swing by her school, (which was 25 minutes away at the time) with some other shoes.

I sadly told her no, as to try and teach her a lesson, that she desperately needs to learn. I said that mom was trying to help you this morning, not trying to be mean. But it's up to you to choose to listen or not. 

She said okay, hung up, all the while quietly sobbing.

When I picked her up from school, she had rigged her leggings so that they were protecting the backs of her feet from rubbing funny (just as tights would have, a suggestion I had that morning, but whatever, I'm just a mom, and an idiot, but I digress) and was happy. Smiling and giggling with her girlfriends, who were all wearing some form of heels.

This morning she asked me if I could help her pick out her clothes today since we were in a hurry, but reminded me, "Mom, it's Wednesday. So remember, we wear heels. And I won't be wearing any heels without tights. In fact, I'll wear my boots with heels, and cozy warm socks, because my feet got a little chilly last week. I know, I know. You don't need to lecture me again about listening. I get it."




But does she really get it?

I have created a monster. And she hasn't even seen Mean Girls. She has no idea who Regina George is, but yet... she embodies many of her qualities, pre being hit by a bus!

"Mom, on Friday we wear pink, and I am going to wear heels too. Just to be a bit different and pretty, of course."

So with her little sister, I am letting this girl pick out whatever clothes she wants to wear on most days. Not discussing fashion of any kind, popular styles, or what types of shoes one should wear with certain outfits. I am letting her just be a free spirit.




And kind of conducting my own little experiment. Are both of my girls destined to be "Mean Girls," because I think I am nothing like Mrs. George. 

These words will never be uttered from my mouth...

" There are NO rules in the house. I'm not like a regular mom, I'm a cool mom."


In all honestly, my girls are not even close to mean girls. But, Afton may be a bit more similar to Regina George than I would like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment