Friday, August 11, 2017

Dear Sugar in Three Years

Dear Sugar,

I'm writing to you today because I want you to know how I feel about this life we have together.
Just a disclaimer at the beginning, if I had started writing this post at the beginning of our move, it would have had a much different message. Especially with all the drama that came with the Navy sending a truck too small to pack up all of our stuff to fit into. And having the drama of having no one from the 4 companies that were involved wanting to take credit for the error.  And having the drama of worrying about if we would actually be able to stick to our departure date thanks to this minor (not-so-minor) hiccup in planning.

But alas, I'm writing this post after all that. I'm writing this post as we start on our new adventure toward Washington. I'm writing this post in my head as we travel up the 101. As I follow behind, closely behind you as you instructed, listening to our babe ask every 2 minutes, "Daddy still in front of us? Okay good." As I see my two big babes sticking their arms out of the windows, feeling the breeze. Movements like those of a bird that just soars through the sky looking for a new, perfect place to land. I'm writing this thinking about the fun we've had and will have just in these few days of moving, exploring new places, seeing different parts of the country, and how we would have never made this journey if we weren't forced to by the Navy. I'm writing as I'm tearing up thinking about the friendships we've made that have impacted who we are today and so thankful for social media to help those friendships stay current. (Because you know how terrible I am at using a phone to actually call someone.) And ecstatic to think that we will continue to make new friends as we travel to new places with new assignments. I'm writing to hopefully remind you of the plans we had for our family with this Navy gig - new places to travel, memories to make, items crossed off of our bucket lists - not to mention the health and retirement benefits (wink, wink).

I know the next few months will be difficult as we start over in Bremerton, leaving all that we have known. But, as a family, we can get through it. We will get established, become situated, and soon feel at peace. We may not make as much money as your classmates, but I'm okay with that. We don't know what it's like to have that kind of money anyway. But we do know what it's like to have a Daddy that is not super stressed with running a practice or worried about insurance. We do know what it's like to a daddy who is home at a reasonable hour and off for weekends and holidays. We have YOU, and that's all that matters.

So in three years, I'll re-read this post. Maybe my perspective will have changed and that will be fine. Most importantly, I'm up for any adventure with you and so are our babes. Whatever we do, let's just do what is best for our family. Whatever that may be.

I love you and always will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment