Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Being Born of Goodly Parents

It's almost Halloween and my babies absolutely love Halloween. They also love Family Home Evening. Their love is entirely based on the fact that they get a yummy treat at the end, but that's okay with me, I suppose.

While walking through the grocery store I had an idea. Let's have a Halloween-ish FHE, because there are tons of easy treats I can just buy. (Lazy, I know!)

I kept thinking mummy hot dogs, pumpkin cuties, and tiny tots for dinner. That was fun for dinner but no real lesson there.


Then I thought of ghouls. It sounds like good. And then I thought, "Do my babies think they have good parents?"

Would they say the kinds words that Nephi said, "I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents..."? 

I wanted to find some good scriptures to help my kids hear how Nephi spoke of his parents. I wanted my kids to hear how Lehi and Sariah are great examples for myself and my sugar. (And man do we have our work cut out for us!)

This link below had the perfect scriptures just for this activity. I looked specifically under Lehi 's genealogy.

I had the kids listen to the scriptures and then tell me a simple way to explain why Lehi and Sariah were good parents based on these scriptures. I loved my kids answers. I was proud.


Then I wanted my kids to think about us as parents. I was prepared for blank stares and answers like, "Well, you aren't good parents." And honestly, it would have been accurate on some days. But, it was a good opportunity for my Sugar and I to reflect on areas we could improve. I secretly was hoping that they would say the same things that Nephi had said about his parents. I mean, we had just said those kind words out loud for heaven's sake. :)



1. play with me
2. make me food
3. hug
4. skateboard with me
5. gecko


As you can see, I did not get the answers I was hoping for, unfortunately. Hardly anything spiritual. But, I didn't get any blank stares or the response, "Well, you aren't good parents," either. In fact, they quickly got to writing and didn't hesitate while completing this. I will take that as a win. However, I will also continue to work on the example I set for my children from a spiritual standpoint. That way if we ever repeat this FHE, hopefully their answers will be a bit more like Nephi's. Fingers crossed.  




I truly hope to be a ghouly (goodly) parent and loving mummy to my tiny tots everyday!



No comments:

Post a Comment