Thursday, February 5, 2015

So a long time ago, I used to be a teacher.

So a long time ago, I used to be a teacher.
I used to have energy to get up early in the morning, get dressed, hair done, and make up on. 
I even would have the energy to get my two babies dressed and ready for the day, and dropped off to a sweet babysitter (Thanks Steph Judd). All this would happen by 7:45 or so.

Then during my day, I would teach. 

That means educate, listen, console, help, entertain, encourage, support, inquire, repeat, counsel, smile, discipline, laugh, model, deep breathe, and then educate some more. I would do all this on top of lesson planning, grading papers, talking with parents, collaborating with colleagues/friends, and missing my actual kids.

Then I would come home. Be a mom and wife, cook dinner, clean up, get baths done, read books and scriptures, say prayers, sing a song, then tuck in my babies. 

To finish the night I would get back to completing my lesson planning, grading papers, texting with parents, and still collaborating with colleagues/friends on what we need to do the next day, week, or month to really be a good educator for those kids in our classrooms.

Then of course, do it all over again 5 days a week. 

I miss teaching.

Earlier this week, I got to go on a field trip with my girl. I was excited. Maybe even more than she was. I was excited to be there with her in my old teacher world! 

1st bus ride for my girl 
Her field trip buddy - Smiley Miley
The Smith Center - Dinosaur Train

Because I was a teacher in the past, Afton's teacher decided to give me her most challenging student. She said, "I knew you could handle him because you have the psychology background to know how he works." Uh huh. She was working me and I know it!

He was a squirrely little dude, requiring many reminders, constant redirection, numerous incentives to meet tiny goals, and all sorts of the teacher tricks that I could pull out of my butt. But (HA I SAID BUTT BUT), he was a sweet and fun little dude. I had a good time and I think he did too. He reminded me of some of my old students. Although they were a challenge at times, lots of times, they were still my students, and in turn, one of my sweet little babies to care for 5 days a week. I took that responsibility very seriously. 

Nonetheless, after my long day of dropping off Afton, then dropping off Jack and Jocelyn at Aunt Stephanie's (Thanks Aunt Stephanie), then field trip, then pick up Jack and Jocelyn, then go back to get Afton, then PTA meeting that went until freaking 4:50, and finally drive our 30 minute drive home thanks to traffic, I was EXHAUSTED!

That night, we had leftovers, no baths, 1 book, scriptures, prayer, and 1 song. They were in bed at exactly 8:01. I followed behind at 8:24.

So a long time ago, I used to be a teacher.
I used to have energy to get up early in the morning, get dressed, hair done, and make up on. 
Now, I am a full time mom. 
I rarely wear anything other then workout clothes (So I should have a smoking hot body right - not?), my hair is in a constant top know or pony tail, and I hardly put on makeup. 
I am in charge of the three most important little beings in the world. 
And I take that responsibility very seriously. 
Some how, I seem to have a different kind of energy for my new, still challenging and quite exhausting job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment