Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Jack's book

My boy is doing great in preschool. Yay Jack. So well, that Ms. Bahati has had to create new curriculum for him and two other buddies in class. "Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh boooooooy!" (Shouted in Flava Flav voice)

But she did say that he doesn't enjoy writing. And my response was, "Duh. He's a boy, left handed, and it requires fine motor skills." I didn't actually say that, but I thought it. :)

 It just reminded me of so many of my old students, specifically the boys. Most of them had horrendous handwriting. I mean, bad!!! And it was always a struggle to get them interested in neatness (Duh, again.) or even writing at ALL. No matter how interesting the topics were, dragons, monsters, sports, boogers, etc. There were a few exceptional students, though. Shout out to Clark Judd and Connor Duke! 
"Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh boooooooy!"
 ( Flava Flav voice again)

I want my boy to be like those exceptional students mentioned above, in all areas. 
I told him we were going to practice our handwriting everyday by just writing two simple sentences. He could tell me the topics, and then we would come up the sentences together. He then got excited and said, "We could make a book." Of course we can my sweet boy. So, I printed off some illustrations for him to color to go along with his sentences to add to the books appeal.

The best part of this book making experience has been, seeing him improve not just in his handwriting, speed and form, but also his ability to find and read some sight words too.  Seeing his confidence towards reading grow, makes me happy. He feels great once he's done with a page, and I do too.

Today we finished the last page that I had made of the book. When he was done he said, "Mom, we need more pages for my book. Tomorrow let's do one with Captain America."

Whatever you say my exceptional boy. WHATEVER you say!

No comments:

Post a Comment