Friday, February 20, 2015

"When I grow up..."

When Afton was little, she wanted to grow up to be many things.

I'm sad to say that phrase, "When she was little..."

She wanted to be a teacher, a singer, a dancer, actually Taylor Swift, a dentist, a princess, a golfer, a princess dentist golfer, a drawer, and "an Arthur (author)."

Her love for all of these things made me smile, but I loved a few dream jobs a bit more than the others.

One in particular, was "an Arthur." I loved to read books with her, and she would ask me why the author wrote what he/she wrote about in the book. I never knew the answer as to why they wrote what they wrote and she would get really frustrated with me. Eventually I would make up reasons why the author wrote certain things. Then, she would join in sharing her own ideas as to why. It was a fun game for us, and not nearly as frustrating as, "I don't know why dear."

The other day, a writing packet came home from school. I was SO proud of my little "Arthur."

"I went to the park with my mommy, daddy, and Jack. I played with my brother Jack."

"When I get home from the park, I will get a snack."

"On Sunday I watched the Super Bowl!!! I had Skittles. I also went to church."

"I went to the Smith Center. I saw Dinosaur Train with my mom!"

"On Saturday, I went to the dam with my mom, dad, and also my brother Jack and Jocelyn."

"On Monday I went to the Temple with my mom and brother Jack and Jocelyn and grandma."

This girl has sentences that don't just begin with the word I. :) She uses commas and detail. I'm so proud of her. (We will practice spelling went, brother, and Jocelyn.)

This morning I asked her what she wanted to to be when she grew up. She said, "National championship gymnastic girl, a volleyball player, biking girl, and a skater, but not a dirty one."

Although "Arthur" was not the answer this morning, that's okay. My girl can be WHATEVER she wants to be when she grows up. She has all the potential in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment