Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November's Academic Schedule

Ahhh November. I remember loving and loathing the month of November when I was a teacher.

LOVE - SO many days off from teaching

LOATHE - SO many days off from teaching

It was both a blessing and a curse to have that many days off with ZERO students. Yes, you'd get caught up on some of the little projects you needed to finish up on, if you weren't stuck in staff development the ENTIRE day. (If!) However, all that time without kids means all those standards that need to be covered, aren't getting covered since there are no students to listen.

Blessing and a curse.

Well, now as a mom of an actual student, I feel the exact same way about November.

LOVE having that many days off with my girl.

LOATHE knowing how many standards her poor teacher has to cram into her cute little/big brain due to the frequent days off this month.

I tried to focus on just the LOVE side of the month these last few days.

Afton decided on Monday morning she wanted to have a "Princess Girls Only Breakfast." I obliged and she got herself all dolled up in her fanciest gown and crown. We found a castle along on the way, and ate the breakfast of choice.


"I don't care where we go as long as it has bacon, sausage, and eggs. But mostly bacon." Her daddy was proud, I'm sure.

After that we spent the morning playing dress up, singing, dancing, and crafting.


Afton enjoyed picking up Jack from preschool. She said as we pulled up, "This is a whole new experience for me. I've never been able to be with you when you pick up Jack before. It just feels funny." Cute, astute little girl.

We ended the evening with her dance class, dinner in a Wal-Mart shopping cart (super princess style dining - determined to get Jocelyn teething tablets and I didn't have time to cook), and a movie of her choice all snuggled up in our big bed. 

All in all, she said it was a good day.

Tuesday came and went rather quickly. We voted, had a picnic lunch with daddy at his school,  played at the Discovery Children's Museum, and enjoyed hot cocoa with grandma. 


I really did try and focus on the LOVE side of the month of November. I can't be too worried about the academic standards, though. Afton practiced her numbers, reading, and writing as well all break, without my encouragement.


(But then why am I looking on my Common Core App for kindergarten standards? ARGH! LOATHE NOVEMBER.)

No comments:

Post a Comment