Monday, July 27, 2015

Science

I pulled out all these things and placed them on the counter. I told them we were going to have some fun.



Baking soda, vinegar, few drops of food coloring, medicine droppers because I couldn't find eye droppers. Helped build fine motor skills too.


Then I started using some of these steps with my kids.


I used scientific vocabulary like predict, hypothesis, ingredients (even though that is not the proper science word - that's for cooking), reaction, observe, analyze, report, dissolve, conclude all while my kids were doing the first couple droplets of colored vinegar into the baking soda. I used them enough times for my babies to use them later on during this activity. 

I loved hearing them try to pronounce the words and use the words properly. It was so much fun.
"Mom, this is an actual reaction. It's sizzling like it's going to explode. And it smells. Like bad. Real bad."
"Jack, are you ready to be a scientist?"
"My hypoptimus is that it will become a volcano all over our kitchen. It will be the coolest thing ever."
"Do you observe this mom? I am."
"I am going to analyze this into a cake. Daddy will love it." 
"Ummm, Jack I don't think that is what analyze means. But I love your idea."
"I predict that Daddy will love to look at it but not eat it. It has got to be disgusting."

I hope my babies have a love (and brains) for science like their Daddy. They don't want my science skills. I called the stuff we used ingredients, for heaven's sake. Are they supposed to be called materials? (I don't know because I was not a science major.)

No comments:

Post a Comment