Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"Can I have..."

This question has been asked too often lately.  Way too often. (Maybe it is because I got used to just taking Jocelyn with me to the store while the big kids were in school. Because of that, this summer grocery shopping and errands running situation is bringing some new things to light in my eyes.)

"Can I have a sucker? Can I have a new toy? Can I have some candy? Can I not eat eat this? Can I have this? Can I have that? Can I...?"

When we go to the store, any store I am bombarded with this question over and over. And, it frustrates me to have to tell my children no so often. But with that frustration comes a realization. My children have no idea how blessed/spoiled they really are. 

I decided that I needed to make this very clear to my children. I found a video on YouTube that discussed homelessness, specifically focusing on children. I wanted my kids to see how some boys and girls, the same ages as them, are in a much different situation in comparison to their own personal lives. Some kids, sadly many kids, are without food, shelter, safety, security, and even family. 
Afton and Jack sat quietly at first, as the video began, but then they started asking some very sad questions. "Why doesn't she have a home?  Where does she get food?  Why would people steal from a little girl? So does that mean she doesn't have any toys, like not even one? How can we help her?"


These questions brought on a good discussion with my boy and girl. They began to see how truly blessed they were.  We made a circle map of the things that they have, and have not realized how important they really were until watching this video. They said things like "a full fridge and pantry, a bathroom with soap, a soft bed with pillows and stuffed animals on it, a mom and dad to sing to them at night and say prayers with them, a home that keeps them safe and warm." They said lots of things and I was very touched by their answers.  I was proud of them for recognizing how blessed they really are.


I asked them then to write down on their own papers what they were truly thankful for.


Jack's answer - "I am thankful for my home and my bed."

Afton's answer - "I am thankful for my home, family, bed, sister, brother, Mom, Dad."

They colored their pictures, sharing the crayons, not asking for new ones, thankful for the old broken ones we had. 

Then for an extra activity, I had them build a house using toothpicks and marshmallows. I told them to build a house that they would want to give to someone if they could.


I made an example for them.





Jack's house was simple. "They would just be happy to have a roof, bathroom, and bed I think."


Afton said, "My house will be big so that lots of people can have somewhere to stay. Plus, it will have a chimney so they all will be nice and warm. This (the little one off to the side) is in case they have any dogs."

I hope this lesson will stick with them.  I'm sure it won't cure them from asking the question, "Can I have...?" over and over again, but hopefully it will help it to not be so often.  

Oh yeah,  we didn't waste the marshmallows. They were our FHE treat. (This could also be why Jack's house was so simple. He probably feared that he would run out of marshmallows to eat if he used them to build a big house.)


If you are wondering what Jocelyn did during our FHE... she screamed, cried, and screamed some more. She was NOT interested in the video, the circle map, the discussion, the coloring, but one thing made her content. She was finally happy when she found a marshmallow that had fallen on the floor.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Nothing makes me more mad then when my kids are ungrateful! (Which happens a lot!) Can you send me the links you used??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris, I updated the links. For some reason they didn't attach when I posted it last night.The very first one is the one I watched my kids that night. We have since watched the others because my babies keep asking about it.The first video does seem like a reenactment, but it was still powerful enough for my babies to be moved by it.

    ReplyDelete