Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pinterest to me is AS a calculator to 2nd graders



 
a·nal·o·gy  /əˈnaləjē/

Noun
  1. A comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
  2. A correspondence or partial similarity.

Synonyms
similarity - resemblance - likeness - parity - parallel

 

Student:     Mrs. Westra, guess what I did last night?
Me:           Um. Let me think. Ok. I know... You told your parents that you plan to grow up to be a teacher and change the lives of so many just like I do each day with you, of course!
Student:     NO! (scoffs as if that would never happen) But I did something else. I finished my math homework!
Me:           Good, but that is what you are supposed to do each night, Monday - Thursday.
Student:    I know, but my big brother showed me this cool thing called a ...
Me:          Let me guess, it's a little thing called a calculator. You put numbers in it, hit a few little symbols that are just like the ones in the math problems we solve each day (and you STRUGGLE WITH GREATLY) and then it magically spit out the answer to you, right? Is this what your big brother showed you how to use? Is this what you are so excited about because you finished your homework? Is this what you are going to tell me about?
Student:  Yes. It was a calculator and it was magical. Guess what, I can add any number now. Like even the millions and bajillions too. I could even do multiplication. I could even divide... well, after my big brother showed me what buttons to push and then said, 'Here is your answer. Just use this instead of using your fingers or drawing pictures. You don't have to waste so much time trying to think about the answer. Just use this.' So I did. I just used my calculator. He also told me not to tell you about it but I was just so excited to tell you.
Me:         That is great. Okay. I am excited for you, but I have a question. Did you SOLVE the problems or was it the "Magical" calculator?
Student:   Well... I put in the numbers and stuff. And all the way into the bajillions numbers.
Me:          Ahh. I see. I think that is great, but even before the magic happens on a calculator, you have to understand numbers and what they mean. So... hmmm... Can you solve this without your magical calculator? I know it isn't in to the bajillions, but it is using double digit addition (without regrouping), which is just like what your homework was last night. Remember the strategies I taught you and forget about the magic of the calculator.
Student:   BLANK STARE
 (Actual Conversation I had with one of my 7 year old students)
 
 
I am now that student. I am now cheating. I am excited about the "magic." I used to consider myself creative. I could think of a cute little gift idea with a cute little quote of candy bar to attach it to at the drop of a hat. I could dress, pretty cute, on a daily basis for all occasions - work, church, casual. Well, at least I thought so. I could cook by using an actual cookbook. I could be crafty from my own inspiration. I could even decorate my entire house.
 
But what do I do now? I cheat. I look on Pinterest. Quite frequently. I cheat. I blame my niece Angela. It is her fault that I cheat. Because of the "magic" of Pinterest, I have found all kinds of the great gift ideas, cute new styles of dress and freedoms that I may not have attempted before, created some delicious meals (with ease), and even made my house look more festive and chic.
 
Pinterest to me is AS a calculator to 2nd graders - A device created only for cheating because we do not allow ourselves to think through a problem or be creative on our own merits.
 
Let me end by saying this, I LOVE Pinterest, along with my niece Angela. I love the MAGIC. I feel as though I may be addicted, but it gives me comfort to know that I can at least add, subtract, multiply, and divide without the need of a calculator because I have number sense. (It does make math homework a whole lot easier!)
 
That reminds me... I saw this great thing on Pinterest about how to build number sense in toddlers! I am using it with my babies. :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment