Sunday, March 3, 2013

Finding Fairies Under a Full Moon

On my girl's 3rd birthday, her good friends, Kate and Jane bought her "the best gift of the party", a Fairy Catching kit. That night she wanted to read the instructions on just how to precisely catch the fairies. She was intrigued the moment she unwrapped the gift, and completely "determined" since reading the first words of the book. She had so many questions?

What do the fairies look like? Are they nice? What will I feed them? Where do you find them? How long can I keep them? Can I sleep with them? Are there only girl fairies? What time of day is best to find them? Should I wear a pretty princess dress while trying to catch them, because they will probably want to let me catch them if I am pretty like a princess, right? Once I catch them, will they tell me their names, or will I get to name them? Do you think they will love me as much as I love them? etc.
Professor Dalrymple's Deluxe Patented Fairy-Catching System


Thankfully almost all of these questions were answered in this great book.

As we found out from reading, fairies can be both nice and naughty. They are very tricky to catch, and if you are lucky enough to catch one, you need to release them pretty quickly, as they do not enjoyed being locked up in the small cage. They prefer to fly free, like any fairy really dreams of. The best time to find fairies is under a full moon. Flowers and pretty plants are their preferred places to hang out.

So the other night while driving home from Costco my girl screamed from the back seat, (almost causing me get in an accident because it was so abrupt and unexpected) "Mom, it's a full moon. We can do the fairies tonight!" Jack quickly added in, "Oh yeah, baby!"

 

 

 Explaining to Jack what to do.
 "You need to be very quiet and so careful not to spill to much of the fairy dust, or I will be so frustrated at you that I won't let you try again. Do you understand me brother?"
"UH, huh sister. I understand," he replied.
 "Ok, Let's do this!"
"Make sure you find a good spot." 

 "Sneak up on them, like a quiet tip toe, and then with your net you, SWOOSH! Catch them!"
Jack says excited, "Oh yeah baby!"

 Afton caught one. "Look Mommy. Isn't she beautiful?"

 
 Jack's turn. He did pretty well with obeying his sister's intricate directions.
 


Almost every month since her birthday last March, we have spent a night outside, under a full moon, catching fairies. She loves it. He loves it. I love it. Bring on the full moons and finding fairies! 
 

3 comments:

  1. I would love to see one of these fairies up close! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good questions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next full moon, the Efros crew is welcome to join us. :)

    ReplyDelete