Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Talent Show

Jack has been talking about the school talent show since the beginning of the year when our neighbors said this school had one.

He has never committed to what he wants to show as his talent, because he has many. And as his mom, I can agree with him. He does have many.

He tried out for the school musical at the beginning of the year but while up on stage, he got nervous and said he didn't know the words of the song. It was "Happy Birthday!"

But, that experience hasn't slowed his intrigue in the talent show.

He brought home the paperwork for me to sign and was finally sure of what he was going to do for his talent.

"I'm going to skateboard. Do you think I can have a ramp as tall as the ceiling on the stage?"

And then today, while I was filling out the paperwork, I told him it said he had to be able to show his talent in only 3 minutes time on stage. He thought about it. Replied, "Ok."

I wasn't sure what that meant.

"Ok," I'll make it work. Or, "Ok," maybe I need to rethink my talent. Or, "Ok," I'm awesome at everything, don't worry mom.

Nothing more was said. We went outside to hit some baseballs before we had to leave for school. He hit a few balls right up the middle, over my head, and bouncing pass me. And then, it was as if he was Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez on The Sandlot. He hit a ball so hard, it exploded.

His face when he retrieved it was priceless. So proud. So accomplished. So strong. So amazed.

Then he said in all seriousness, "Ok, maybe I'll just hit baseballs on the stage and kaboom them like this one... oh, while riding my skateboard too."


No comments:

Post a Comment