Friday, August 9, 2013

Jack's DIY Room REDO!

We got this bed for Jack as a trade! So ... IT WAS FREE! Let's make that very clear, because I WOULD NEVER buy anything race car! EVER!!!!!! (Can you tell I am not a NASCAR fan?)

But since he got this bed, we needed to convert the room from a baby room to a big boy room. He got this bed for Christmas and it has just not been complete. My mom and I finally got around to it in JULY. (Only 7 months after Grandpa Jerry and my sugar put it together. Thank you for doing that by the way!!!!!) We needed to paint, get new window treatments, and create something for the wall - all on a budget of course. We are STILL a dental school student family!

1. Paint

The painting was easy. We had extra grey paint so we just had to get rid of the baby blue and brown stripes. (So sad I can't find a picture of this. I know I have one somewhere. ARGH.)

2. Window Treatments

My mom found some old red napkins at Savers (thrift store) and some checkered bandannas at JoAnne's. We overlapped them across the curtain rod and BAM! - a new window treatment. I used the extras around the room as accents, to cover my lampshade, and a few baskets that had the old blue and brown décor.
Thanks Aunt Debbie for this fun cake mold that we have here!
 


3. Something for the wall

On the side where his bed rests, I wanted to paint a black road, with the yellow stripes down the center. My mom talked me out of it because she said it would be too dark for the room, and I think she was right. :) But I needed something on that wall and it needed to be big. So with that in mind, we went to Goodwill. My mom always finds something there. No matter what!
And lone behold, we found this for $3.00.
A 1972 Deluxe Play Track.
No, not all of the pieces were there, but we didn't mind.
IT WAS $3!!!!!
 In fact, inside there we found extra hidden gems, such as a Mickey Mouse pencil sharpener (also 1972), a rubber band, and leaf.
Score!
 
My mom was able to manipulate the letters in such a way to spell... wait for it...I am sure you won't even guess... Well, maybe you will... Ok. It was ... 
JACK!!!!!!!
Yes! So off to Home Depot we went.

We bought a plywood board, primer, and some liquid nails.
 We primed.
 We trimmed.
 We perfected.
 We placed.
 We painted red. (I had already bought this paint back in December with some sort of plan for his room, but that red was to paint a an armoire. (Which I decided was WAY TOO MUCH WORK!)
 We glued. (with E6000 instead of liquid nails - worked fabulously)
Later I added little race cars on each letter! SO cute!
I still feel like it needs more on this wall, but I will be on the look out!
But as for now, I am calling it DONE!


No comments:

Post a Comment