Monday, April 9, 2018

Headaches and Exclamation Marks

Today was one of those mornings.

I was not walking up. I was not getting out of my comfy, warm bed. I was not wanting any sort of light to be on, or let in our room. I was not going to lift my head from my pillows, that felt like goose feathers of perfection formed so nicely around my tired scalp, when the entire night before I just couldn't seem to find any level of comfort. And because of that lack of sleep, I was not going to wake up happy and go-lucky, let alone spiritual. Forget church. I was not going!

Did I mention that had a headache too?

I was out. Not happening! My sugar could handle it.

He thought a good way to encourage me out of bed was to tell Afton and Jocelyn that they could pick their own clothes for church if I didn't get out of bed. His tactics didn't work. I didn't budge.

So Afton was ecstatic, and went straight for her baptism dress. Causing me another headache, because I knew she would spill on it.

Then he tried to pull the, "I can't get the kids all ready to go by myself... I'm going to get angry... Here," while handing me 3 Ibuprofen and a Dr. Pepper. (I'd like to add that my Sugar is an amazing Sugar and could totally get the kids all ready for church by himself, so yeah. The guilt trip was not accurate.)

Ugh!

So, I got up. Headache and all. Kids clothes picked out, styled off of Afton's baptism dress (Because mis-match clothes gives me a headache), hair done and ready for church.

Still a headache.


But, it subsided. It went away. And it just so happened to be a great day at church.

Testimony meeting didn't consist of my children being obnoxious. (For the most part.) 

Sunday school was informative, like always. I'm continually in awe of our 2 teachers. Their knowledge of the scriptures is inspiring. And overwhelming, if I'm being totally honest.

But then Relief Society was exactly the reason why I supposed to be at church, even though I had fought it.

Sometimes I hate when that happens!

Our teacher shared a message from our new president of the church, a modern day prophet, Russell M. Nelson. A message that I had just heard last week while watching conference, but somehow missed so much of it - so much of what I loved about church today.


The message in it is an amazing one (and I encourage you to read it), but I'll focus on what I loved most, the simple similarities I found between him and I. The things that helped my headache go away.

1. I loved how he talked about his childhood.

"... I was not raised in a gospel-centered home.
I adored my parents. They meant the world to me and taught me crucial lessons. I cannot thank them enough for the happy homelife they created for me and my siblings. And yet, even as a boy, I knew I was missing something. One day I jumped on the streetcar and went to an LDS bookstore to find a book about the Church. I loved learning about the gospel.
As I came to understand the Word of Wisdom, I wanted my parents to live that law. So, one day when I was very young, I went to our basement and smashed on the concrete floor every bottle of liquor! I expected my father to punish me, but he never said a word.
As I matured and began to understand the magnificence of Heavenly Father’s plan, I often said to myself, “I don’t want one more Christmas present! I just want to be sealed to my parents.” That longed-for event did not happen until my parents were past 80, and then it did happen. I cannot fully express the joy that I felt that day, and each day I feel that joy of their sealing and my being sealed to them."

I personally remember when I would go through my mom's purse and throw away her brand new box of cigarettes. She'd would dig and dig through her giant purse, all the while talking to herself, usually swearing too, just in hopes to find those disgusting things. 

I remember going to my daddy's funeral, but not understanding why he was gone. Unaware at age 5, that his bad habits caused this. His decision to begin smoking and drinking at the age of 13 or so, would later affect his family in such a drastic and depressing way. 


I remember being so impressed with many things the 4 different sets of missionaries taught me, on 4 different occasions, but most importantly impressed with the Word of Wisdom. I liked how this church knew that cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs were bad for you. I knew that too, and it wasn't because I had graduated from the D.A.R.E. program in 5th grade. 

I was also intrigued at the message of eternal families. This concept caused me a great deal of questions and worry. And still does to this day, since I'm not sealed to my mom and/or dad.



Russell M.Nelson's constant faith that things will work out, in time, was a good reminder for me.

I just need to be patient, and obedient.

But oh how thankful I am for my little eternal family that my Sugar and I have created.




2. I loved watching him speak, but what I loved more, was reading his talk.

Back when I was in the classroom, I always tried to teach my students the importance of writing with feeling, with voice, and with a proper tone. I wanted my kids to know that their writing was a part of their personal expression, even if it be a personal narrative or a 5 paragraph research essay. I wanted to be able to hear them in my head as I read their writing at home while grading papers.

I encouraged emotion, meaningful/powerful word choice, and exclamation marks.
While reading this talk, I loved how I could feel his love for the gospel, his excitement for his new role as the prophet, his love for our Savior and our Heavenly Father, all while using powerful word choice and occasional, well-placed exclamation marks.

"How we miss President Monson! We honor his life and his legacy. A spiritual giant, he left an indelible imprint upon all who knew him and upon the Church that he loved."

"Imagine the miracle of it! Whatever our Church calling, we can pray to our Heavenly Father and receive guidance and direction, be warned about dangers and distractions, and be enabled to accomplish things we simply could not do on our own. If we will truly receive the Holy Ghost and learn to discern and understand His promptings, we will be guided in matters large and small.
When I recently faced the daunting task of choosing two counselors, I wondered how I could possibly choose just two from twelve men whom I love and respect.
Because I know that good inspiration is based upon good information..."

"Pray in the name of Jesus Christ about your concerns, your fears, your weaknesses—yes, the very longings of your heart. And then listen! Write the thoughts that come to your mind. Record your feelings and follow through with actions that you are prompted to take. As you repeat this process day after day, month after month, year after year, you will 'grow into the principle of revelation.'
Does God really want to speak to you? Yes!"

Some Sundays are better than others.

Today... even though it started with a headache, it turned out to be a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment