Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Different Kind of Wheel of Fortune


My babes used to love to watch Wheel of Fortune whenever it was on TV - which was not often in our home. (With a ROKU, we rarely watch live TV, so I don't even know how they saw it, but whenever it was on, they were stoked.) They would yell, "Wheel. Of. Fortune."

Do they share those same excited feelings about watching General Conference?

Ummmm. No. No they do not.

But, if you think about it, it is hard as an adult to sit still for 8 total hours watching. I personally know a child who described it this way. "It's our Prophet and bunch of old dudes, and sometimes ladies, that talk about church stuff over and over again. We get it Mom. Why watch it again?" I will refrain from divulging the identify of which of my children said that, but I will give you a clue... It's the one who has already been baptized and is pretty sure she knows just about everything there is to know in this life already at the young age of 8.

But since I do understand the important of General Conference, and enjoy it a bit more than Wheel of Fortune, oh, and because I am a "Mean Mom," I make my children watch. However, I do try my best to remember their ages and that is why I try and find some sort of HOOK to get them listening.

This session's HOOK was, "Spin. Listen. Win." A tad similar to Wheel of Fortune.



To be honest, it worked, but not as well as the "Money Words" I used for the 186th General Conference HOOK. Lesson Learned. (My babes like money!)

I have 6 months to think of something else to keep them listening, and wanting to hear more of that church stuff over and over again from the Prophet, a bunch of old dudes, and sometimes ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment