Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sight Word Air Strip

Had to buy some new baby gates, well official baby gates, since my Jocelyn girl is now climbing over our make shift dining room chair gates that we've been using for months.

Anyhow, Jack was excited to grab the cardboard that came on one of them and he instantly turned it into an air strip.

He was content with just the plain white board, but I thought I'd enhance it a bit, with sight words of course. (Side note: I look at every opportunity I get to be a learning one, and my kids hate me for it. "Ugh Mom, seriously?" They truly hate me.)


I made the runway with sight words, arrows, and a hope that he'd master these words rather quickly. I used some that he knows already to build up his confidence.  I wrote the same sight words on paper and Jack helped me stick them on with tape.  He loves tape.


Then it was time to play.  First we matched the plane to their specific spot on the runway. Practicing reading the words together. Once we/he got good at them, then we moved onto reading each word as our plane traveled along the runway preparing to "take off."



He did a great job! Learning while playing and having fun.


Even though my kids hate me now for wanting to help them learn, I hope one day they realize my intentions were good. That all I want for them is to soar through school. So, I'll continue to work with them and hopefully their teachers will appreciate it - because my kids surely don't. 




No comments:

Post a Comment