Thursday, January 15, 2015

History of 9:00 A.M. Church

No this is NOT the actual church history of the 9:00 am meeting time for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

This is just MY history of dealing with 9:00 am church since I became a member back in 1994.

So here's a brief explanation (yeah right, I don't know how to be brief)  of 9:00 am church.

The early years - preteen:
No big deal. Waking up wasn't so bad. Plus I got to see my friends at church.

Teen years:
What the crap? I wake up ALL freaking week at the crack of dawn for seminary, and now I have to wake up by 8 on the weekend TOO? It's just RIDICULOUS. But, at least I'll get to see my friends at church.

BYU years:
I don't remember what time church was exactly, but I just remember hated having to walk to church in the cold. If it was a snowy day, then... well even my friends weren't that enticing. (I hate the snow!) But, I only lasted at BYU for a short while. No, not because of honor code issues (JERK for thinking that) or church attendance issues. It was the cold. The bloody cold! (Why do people volunteer to live there?)

Early married years:
This means just my Sugar and me. 9 am church was always admired by him, but I still liked sleep. I wasn't as, AS, grouchy and mean as when I had to wake up early like in my teen years. Sorry MOM.  But it was STILL super hard to get up, get dressed, do my hair, put on make-up, because did I mention yet, I liked sleep.

Afton arrives:
9:00 was awesome. It worked out so well with me getting up, getting dressed, hair and make-up done, before she woke for the day. The rest of the morning was so smooth and nap times weren't interrupted. Now, 11:00 church was just plain dumb in my opinion at this stage of my life, but 1:00 pm... REALLY? Just plain silly.

Jack joins the fun:
Ok so now we have two babies to get ready, on top of ourselves. But, at least my sugar was home to help me. So 9:00 church still reigned supreme. There were always major tantrums during our "peaceful" Sundays when church interfered with naptime - every freaking Sunday when we met at 11:00. Every one. 

Jocelyn is here:
So when Jocelyn was born our ward met at 11, which wasn't too bad now because Afton and Jack are older, and still manage to take a little nap after church. Plus, it allowed ME, singular, to get everyone ready for church, including myself. Why by myself? Well, my Sugar has served as the ward clerk for awhile now so that means he's gone all Sunday mornings in meetings. ALL morning. I'm NOT complaining, well just whining (and when am I not whining?), because it could be much worse. He could be the bishop. Ahhhhhhh that would SUCK! Okay, back to the point. I was finally okay with 11:00 church.



Then 2015 came, and 9:00 am is our new meeting time. So far, things have been investing. We missed the first Sunday of the year since we weren't 100% yet from that terrible flu but the second week made me realize that 9:00 church is ABSOLUTELY horrible! And ABSOLUTELY wonderful at the same time. 

On that Sunday, I got almost entirely ready, while Afton, Jack, and Jocelyn were eating breakfast. Then as soon as the food ran out, Jocelyn began to scream bloody murder. Coincidentally, Afton and Jack began to scream bloody murder because they couldn't hear their morning movie because of Jocelyn. Stop judging me for putting on a movie so I could distract my children, while I hurried to finish up getting ready. But unfortunately, I didn't get me done completely. I had to turn my attention to my children. Finally, I got all three babies ready to go by 8:45. By myself. MYSELF! Phew. 

Only 15 minutes till church starts, so I ran upstairs for me, grab my shoes, put on my dress (not just my slip - which I have done before one time when Jocelyn was a brand new baby - pregnancy brain almost allowed me to go to church in just my slip. Thankfully Afton caught me before I got in the car!) I was feeling proud that we did it. We even managed to snap the important beginning of the year pictures announcing their new primary class for the year.



We pulled into the church parking lot at 8:57. As soon as I placed the car in park, I realized something. Something important. Something important that I forgot.

I didn't brush my teeth. 

Nice. 

Glad I had gum. Oh, 9:00 am church. 




The next week went a little better. Daddy came home a few minutes early to help, but I had already brushed my teeth and documented  the babies matching outfits (THIS is extremely important. Ha!) It was all around a good Sunday, even with 9:00 am meeting time.



Seahawks colors for the Sabbath day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment