Friday, December 12, 2014

"He found us Mom!"

December 1, 2011 my mom bought all of her grandchildren an Elf on the Shelf. Reading this book and enjoying the magic of our elf has since become a great family tradition.
At that time, Afton was almost three and had a deep love for Super Why on PBS. She decided that our friendly scout elf was smart and fun like Super Why, so his name was selected. Jack was cool with it. He was TOO little to care, or know what was going on.
Every year since then, Super Why has come via the mail from the North Pole. The second year was so much fun, as Afton had a daily chore of checking the mail. She was ecstatic to find him in our mailbox on December 1, 2012. He made it on his exact anniversary of becoming our friendly scout elf! He brought with him a DVD set of "The Original Christmas Classics." My babies enjoyed watching Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman.
Last year, he was delivered, magically/miraculously. I was nervous he wouldn't be able to make it, thanks to me being bedridden, but Grandma Jones contacted Santa for us, and Super Why made it, just in time. December 1, 2013 was a fun day for my babies. They enjoyed opening the package he came in, and all the little goodies he brought with him.
This year, my babies had not thought about Super Why at all. As we pulled out a few Christmas decorations to bring over to the hotel, I knew they would ask about Super Why. 
I was wrong. No mention of him at all.
We walked by new boxes of new Elf on the Shelf(s) being sold at Target.
They didn't even care. No memory of Super Why.
I have to admit, I was a bit sad. I wanted them to remember THIS tradition. But, they didn't.
Until it was December 1, (2014). My girl was so excited to tell Jack and me all about the Elf on the Shelf that her kindergarten class got that day. Her name was Noelle and she was a girl. "She has such pretty eyes. It helps her keep an eye on the class."
Then on the way home, memories returned to both of my babies. And at the same time, they both had the same sad thought. "Mommy, how will Super Why find us? We aren't at our house? How will he know where we are? Who will tell Santa if we've been good?"
They were very concerned. (I was secretly happy.)
We finished the car ride back to the hotel, wondering about Super Why. Afton tried to help her and Jack feel better by saying that Noelle could probably tell Santa how they've been, if she remembered to tell her everyday at school. "So you better be nice to me Jack, or else I'll tell Noelle you were mean!"
When we got to the hotel we worked on homework, played with tinker toys, and tried to distract ourselves from thinking about Super Why. We decided to go down to dinner in the dining hall of the hotel.
As we ate, the hotel concierge happily walked towards our table. In his hands was a bottle of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider and three packages. Afton and Jack couldn't stop smiling.
Jack yelled, "He found us mom!"
Afton added, "Super Why is pretty amazing. And look, he even brought something for Jocelyn mom. That's so sweet of him."
He did.
He is pretty amazing.
He is pretty sweet.
He found us.



No comments:

Post a Comment