Saturday, December 14, 2013

Philadelphia "Phun"

I got to escape back east with my mom and brother back in early September to Philadelphia. (Let me point out, they didn't invite me. I invited myself after they both were bragging about getting a sweet deal on airfare, jerks. I showed them by tagging along, and getting an even better price. Ha ha. That just meant I had to share a room with them and deal with my brother's OUTRAGEOUS snoring. It's truly unbearable.)

We went to celebrate my Aunt Joanie's 80th birthday. It was a fun time, even though I was missing my sugar and my babies greatly. We did all of the traditional Philadelphia things: Phillies game, Philly cheesesteak, Independence Hall, playing "our numbers", crossing bridges, dancing, and most importantly, family. I haven't been back to Philly since my grandmother passed away almost 10 years ago. It was good to see everyone, and to surprise my Aunt Joanie on her special day.

I have such fond memories of my summers as a child visiting my sweet, but feisty grandma, loving aunts and uncles, and crazy cousins. They talked so differently, dressed to the nines on everyday occasions, had the most amazing skin, and shared countless memories of my daddy. I love each of them so much. 

My summers there made me feel so special to be my daddy's little girl. They ALL truly loved their Joey, and they could see him in me. I can't even think of how many times I heard from people back there, "You look just like your father. You have his eyes." And my Aunt Joanie said it the most. She missed and misses her baby brother, and that love was so special to me. I never wanted to see my Aunt Joanie cry, but she DID. There were tears everytime we arrived, we walked down the stairs in her house, we sat by her at kitchen table, and especially when we left. And this trip was no different!

Instant tears as she spotted us hiding at her surprise party, tears as we sat at chatted over dinner, tears as we talked about my daddy, and tears when we said our goodbyes for this trip.

Happy 80th birthday Aunt Joanie. I feel so blessed to have been able to add this trip to one of my many fabulous and "Phun" memories of Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment