Friday, December 13, 2013

"I'm not sure of what to do with my hands."

I received this text earlier tonight from my sugar.
"Miss you. Might sleep at school tonight..."
Thought to myself, "It's finals. That seems about right, and it's ONLY the first time he has done that this semester. Good luck sugar. Almost done with this semester."
A few hours later I received this text,
"I'm big time now."
 
It made me think back to the beginning of this semester.  In the start of his second year in dental school, there was a special event held for the class of 2016. I knew what I was going to blog about the evening of this special event. I knew how I would word it. (I just lacked the energy to write it because of the baby sucking everything out of me at the time!) It came to me while sitting in the audience surrounded by our family, and the families of close friends we've made during this wild dental school ride.
 
I would start with this, "I'm not sure of what to do with my hands." Then a picture of the one and ONLY, Ricky Bobby.
For some reason, in the middle of my sugar's UNLV White Coat ceremony, I could not get this line and this image out of my head.

No, my reasoning for thinking about this was not because I was so captivated from Dean West's wise words. Or, because half the girls in my sugar's class were wearing dresses THAT were so ridiculously short, it could possibly be something similar to what I'm sure Ricky Bobby's wife would wear had she been invited to ceremony. (Super glad they wear scrubs to school, because there are some "not ugly" ladies in his class.) 
 
Or because some dude in the audience behind me happened to look like, JEAN GIRARD.
 
 
None of those were the reasons why I thought of this quote. The reason was because I knew my sugar would never, ever say, "I'm not sure of what to do with my hands." My sugar was one step closer to achieving his dream of becoming a dentist. He would be able to work on real live patients and put into affect the use of his steady hands. He would impact the lives of so many people for the better by helping them to smile. He would be a freaking dentist!

I was so proud of my sugar on that day. I'm proud of him everyday. I'm proud of his dedication to his family, while ensuring that he still is also dedicated to his schooling. He is a great role model for our children. I'm proud of him today as he will be able to use those hands to pass out his fancy new business cards, because he DOES indeed know just what to do with his hands.
 
I love you sugar! Keep it up and come what may.
Joel Morris - My Sugar's Cal Naughton Jr. -  "Shake and Bake" 
 
All the Boys!
 
All the Wives!
 
I just had to post this picture.
 
 "If you ain't first, you're last!"

No comments:

Post a Comment