Monday, July 1, 2013

Back in the classroom... maybe... I don't know... Should I?

While waiting for Surf's Up (great movie) to start at an outdoor viewing in Town Square Mall, I received a phone call from a dear friend. She had news that affected her career. She presented this proposal to me. "So Kirk L. Adams is going full-day next year? And you were who I thought of first when Mrs. Johnson told me the news. Do you want to split a kindergarten contract with me? I know how much you miss it. I know how great you were with your students. But I also know how important it is to be home with those babies. I need to know by tomorrow."
There it was.  I was being given the opportunity to "maybe" come back into the classroom to split a contract at my old school. There would have to be some hoops to jump through if I wanted it, BUT, it was mine if I decided to say yes, assuming of course, all of the fun CCSD District hoops we're successfully "jumped."

This news rocked my world. I would be back in the classroom. I would be working with a teacher I adore. I would be back at Adams ES. Oh, and I would be working with 4 siblings of my previous students who all belong to fabulous families. I would be a teacher again. This was what I thought I really wanted (5 months ago when I was really struggling with being "just a stay-at-home mom").

But that night, because I only had 1 silly night to decide, when I was really thinking it over, my mind kept returning to this quote. This quote that means so much to me. This quote that my husband said at his dear friend's wedding as his groomsman, that brought the groom to tears. This quote that is hanging up on my magnet board in my kitchen.

 
It doesn't matter if I am a successful teacher in the classroom. (I never earned the "Teacher of the Year" award. And if you know me, I want to win every award possible.) What matters is the success that will come, in time, with me being able to be home with my sweet babies each day. The success of being their mommy.
 
Although I am "just a stay-at-home mom," I can't get this time back. This special time I have with my babies. My girl will be going to preschool next year and then kindergarten after that. I only have this ONE last year with her until she is officially grown -up. Okay I am exaggerating, but that is how I will feel when she is officially in kindergarten - grown-up. How could I go back to work knowing this time is so precious? Plus, how could I leave my boy? He is so much fun. He fills my days with hugs and kisses and "Mommy, I love you too"s. I would miss out on ALL of that if I were back in the classroom, even if it were only for a half-day contract.
 
 
I have found during this past year that being "just a stay-at-home mom" is more challenging, exhausting, and rewarding then my previous career as teacher. This job is constant. 24-7-365 on call. It is filled with ups and downs. It tests my patience daily, even hourly. It requires more creativity and ingenuity to keep them satisfied and stimulated. It requires superhero powers to run on "empty" regularly because they drain every bit of energy you have. It allows me the opportunity to be a counselor, a chef, a chauffeur, a confidant, an example, an entertainer, and even a teacher. It has given me a new award to aspire to win, "Mother of the Year" award. (It does actually exist. Erin Cranor, in my ward won it in 2012 for the state of Nevada.) This award is SUCH A LONG SHOT for me, but I will try every day to reach it.
 
Needless to say, I told my friend no. I told her I could NOT accept this position. I needed to be at home with my babies. I needed to be not "just a stay-at- home mom." But a proud stay-at-home who works each day to help her family be successful. 
 


3 comments:

  1. I am mucho proud of you. I didn't teach again until my youngest was in third grade. You choose well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you. You can still get your teacher fills by giving me advice every once in a while :) ha! I think you made the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that quote (and I know whose wedding you are referring to)! I am glad you kept it in mind when making your decision. I have also been considering going back to work part time lately and am happy to say, I'll be staying in the "just" stay-at-home mom club with you.

    ReplyDelete