Monday, May 6, 2013

The power of a little note...

There have been some amazing women in my life who I have truly been blessed to know. They have set examples for me from their actions, their testimonies, their service, their families, and honestly, just being themselves.

First and for most, my mom. She raised my brother and myself as a single mother since I was 5 years old. Losing my dad at a young age was difficult for me, since I didn't get to know him. I was his daddy's girl. I never understood how hard it had to be on my mom, raising 2 kids completely on her own. Now as I am almost living the life of a "single" mom with my sugar in dental school, I have a deeper love and appreciation for my mom. She instilled in me the importance of being successful at whatever you do. I push myself to be better because of her. I am grateful she instilled in me the importance of education, and a knowledge of how to take care of yourself. Don't get me wrong, I still am a bit needy, but I think I would be a lot worst if I had not had her as my loving mommy. This mother's day I will write her a little note. I will tell my mom, JoAnna Jones how much I love her and thank her for her example that she has set for me.

In young women's, I had a leader who set a great example for me. She had such a love for her family. She was able to attend ALL of her multiple children's functions. She was their biggest fan. She instilled in them the importance of family prayer, family scripture study, and creating their own eternal families. She loved me as one of her little young women and I knew  and felt that. On my first day of teaching, (long after being one of her young women) she showed up in my classroom before the bell had rung. She was there with a rose and little note for me. It was simple. It was short. It meant the world to me. I appreciate June Ostler and the example she set for me to be the best teacher I can be, not just for my students, but more importantly for my little family.

As a married couple, we moved in the Cedar Creek ward. It was the first time I had been outside of my mom's ward, other than being at BYU. That ward was filled with women who astounded me. 2 that I will never forget, I hope to be like each day. Their love of the gospel, their knowledge of the scriptures, their continual service to those in need, their outlook on life & glass half-full mentality, and their sense of style... (Yes, that is important!) have left a desire for me to be better. When I recently had to speak in church, I called upon these fine ladies. They were both such strong supports for my sugar and I when we were struggling to have a baby; they both teared up & rejoiced when we announced that we would finally have our sweet little Afton Joy. I must write them a little note expressing my love for both, Lori Squires and Nani Urie.

I  have always looked up to these women in my life. They are older, wiser, and better than I ever think I can be. They have accomplished so much in their lives, and it's no wonder I have such an admiration for them.

In church last Sunday, I received a little note. This note made me feel so special. This note made me cry. This note made me feel accomplished as a mom. This note made me feel like I have grown up to be an example for a sweet young woman in my ward, just as the examples in my life. This note also freaked me out a little. It made me realize that 1) I'm getting older so a young woman can look up to me. AHHHHH  and 2) This young woman sees the same things I saw in so many other examples of strong women in this faith, in me. (I must be a good little actor to fool her so well.)  This little note I will never forget. I will work hard to continue to be an example for her, hopefully for my very own daughter, and possibly for someone else. I have sooooooo much to improve on, but it's worth it. I want to be like those other sweet ladies I have had in my life. "I really do want to become just like you one of these days so keep being awesome!" Her little note had so much power.

Lauren Cranor, I am eternally thankful for my little note.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment