Saturday, April 13, 2013

You are never too old to dance!

Picked up a flyer at Rec Center where my girl does ballet.
Flyer says: "Free dance recital! UNLV Campus  - Solaris Dance Company"
I asked the young girl who taught Afton's Hip Hop class, "Is this something my girl would enjoy?"
She replies with a smile, "Of course. She will love it!"
Excitedly, I put it on the calendar.

The day of the recital I told my girl and boy that we would be going somewhere special after Gymnastics class. I told them it was a dance recital at UNLV. My girl began with the 20 questions. "Will there be ballerinas? Will they be beautiful like princesses as they glide across the floor? Will I be able to dance on stage too? Are there boy dancers too?"

We get there. We sit. All we see is a "Sea of Silver." The cutest little ladies and gentlemen. All dressed up for the performance of their dear friends. All of the people in the crowd, besides us, were over the age of 65, no question. I begin to think that my girl may have a different vision as to what this recital may be.
I began talking with my girl and boy about the performers. I explained what the flyer said, "You are never TOO old to dance." We discussed how the performers will be a little older than the dancers we have seen perform before. We discussed how if you love to dance, you will always love to dance, no matter your age. I told them that today's performers were going to be cute little grandmas and grandpa. With Jack replied, "Ahh yes! Grandpa is here!" Funny boy.


The show began with this little number. Dancin' Derbies.
Afton had the biggest smile on her face as she stood on her chair to make sure she could see every move, twist, and tap of the foot. She loved it.

 Next was Arabian Fantasy. My favorite.
 
This lady could shake it.
 
Butterflies and Singin' in the Rain were Afton's 2 favorites.
 
Jack didn't really enjoy any of the show. Not even the 2 dudes who played the guitar, who were really pretty impressive. He was very well behaved as he played learning games on my phone, followed by Fish Farts, Soccer, and Cut the Rope. But the most fun he had was taking 57 different self pics. Some of them were pretty cute, but most were blurry.

 
The finale of the show was "You Make Me Feel So Young!" Afton was so excited
when she heard this. She leaned over in my ear, and trying to whisper, but accidentally yelled because she was so excited... "This is from ELF!" So many smiling, little ladies turned around excited that my little 4 year old knew the song and was singing it!
Afton and Jack were excited to take a picture with the dancers.
 
It's true. You are never too old to dance. They did such a great job! Glad we could be there. Woo hoo for finding a free flyer at the Rec Center.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment