Thursday, June 7, 2018

The Power of a Voice

She's been planning this since before spring week. She knew who she wanted to be as soon as her teacher introduced the project - Wax Museum.

"I'm going to be Jenny Lind because that way I can wear my pretty baptism dress again. And I need pretty hair, with sparkles. Plus, I really loved her voice in The Greatest Showman."

She's done the research at home, at school, and worked hard to gather it all for her school to hear. She had a vision of what her board should look like and was okay letting me assist a bit. "It needs red curtains. And a big marquee (Daddy bought her the lights.) And I want to have a Jenny Lind doll in the middle in a beautiful gown. And I can hold real flowers like the ones they threw on the stage for her performances." She had it all figured out.

Last night we talked about being sure to project her voice. To make sure that the audience can hear you, just as Jenny Lind would have long ago. The power of your voice will keep people listening I told her.

This morning she woke up early for hair and makeup. She looked in the mirror repeating her memorized part, helping her to truly become the part, the Swedish Nightingale.

My girl was ready. Her attire, her look - both hair and makeup, her board, her voice.

And she was killing it. So great. So proud.

Pleased with my girl and her hard work, I decided I should walk around the room hearing her classmates presentations. I heard 4.

And then she was gone. Out of the room in tears.

She heard the whisper of someone's voice say, "Don't go listen to hers. Come to mine. Hers is stupid."

She gained her composure after being told that there were lots of people waiting at her project because it looked great. Waiting to her voice talk about the voice of the Swedish Nightingale. Waiting patiently.

And when she returned, she had calmed her nerves, conquered her emotions, ignored the haters and used her voice.

Jack got upset when he saw how upset his sister was. He rubbed her back to help her calm down and my heart exploded. These two!

No comments:

Post a Comment