Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Venice

So we live in California now. Of course we would hit the beach up first chance we got. 



Here was our first chance. My Sugar had a friend from Jamaica who happened to be in town. He hasn't seen her since he left Jamaica 15 years ago. It was a sweet reunion and I'm so proud of my return missionary. 

As I sat and chatted with her on the beach about life, parenting, the church, I was so impressed with her. The struggles she endures just to raise her kids (works full time - sends all her kids to school without being there as they leave or when they return home, missing recitals, practices, and what not because she can't miss work). She has to take 2 taxis just to get to church. It costs her money to go to church each Sunday, and many other members of the church, which is why so many are inactive. She does it all with such a positive attitude. She made me feel like such a spoiled brat, and I truly am. 

She is genuinely a good person and she is so thankful for my Sugar and his companion for stopping to talk to her on the street so many years ago. When my Sugar left her house he knew for sure that he would never see her again. She was quiet and didn't seem to have much interest, but he was happily wrong.

He is so proud of her and her continued growth in the gospel. 

It was so nice to meet her and her sweet daughter! Plus any reason to go to the beach is a good one.

Afton and her daughter were so cute together. She is going into 6th grade, won a contest for having the best patois on the island, and the sweetest little girl you'll ever meet. My girls had so much fun with her.

They all seemed to have issues with sand going in places they would rather it didn't.


After we left the beach, we went to get some yummy pizza, (because I'm spoiled and wanted it).  

Abbot's Pizza Company ~ delicious

Then right across the street was an ice cream shop that had the most amazing smells radiating from it.
 I mean the air smelled a lot like how I would imagine Heaven smelling. 

And the ice cream, DID NOT SUCK!
~ Salt &  Straw ~


Dear Venice,
         You did not disappoint, but I doubt we will return. The traffic was insane and very much, not appreciated. Camp Pendelton is much closer, so really the only thing you have going for you is Salt & Straw. 
That ice cream was amazing. 
Thanks for a fun time with dear friends.
                    Sincerely, 
                       Jenn 





No comments:

Post a Comment