Saturday, May 16, 2015

I don't want to grow up...


We had some time to kill this morning in between the things we had to get done. The boy and girl had been behaving rather well thus far, and it was refreshing. So refreshing and calm in fact, that we thought that we needed some excitement. We decided to take a risk.


 

Should we enter Toys 'R' Us?

Were our children strong enough to handle the temptation of seeing millions of toys at a time,  knowing fully that they would not be receiving a toy, any toy, NO toy, zero toys, when it was time to depart? Were they going to be able to understand the common term "killing time" without reacting in a way as if they were literally being killed as we would walk out empty-handed today? Were they strong enough to refrain from asking over and over again, "But can I just have this or that?" Were they going to be calm, cool, collected, rational children in the store, or the opposite, screaming, crying, tantrum-throwing children that they have been a time, or two, or three in their past? Were we foolish in risking our calm and peaceful morning? Were they going to be able to handle this experience?  Better question, were we?

Let me make this clear, my children do not get a toy every time we go into a store. No way. Absolutely not! That's just foolish. However,  this store was one that we rarely visit, and when we do, it is because we have a gift card and are fully intending to use it. Because of this, I had reservations about going in, but my Sugar and I were feeling a bit daredevil-ish this morning, so we did it. 

Jocelyn slept in the car with daddy.  I walked in with Afton holding my left hand and Jack with the right. I took a deep breath, and rolled the dice. (Man, parenthood is so risky, kind of like sky diving and Russian Roulette. Ha! )


We walked out of Toys 'R' Us, with Afton holding my left hand and Jack with the right.  Jack said, "Thanks mommy, that was fun." Afton agreed. (Jocelyn slept the entire time.)

On days like today, I hope they never grow up. They could be kids forever, a Toys 'R' Us kid even, and my Sugar and I would love every minute of it. 

It's a risk I think we'd be willing to take. 



No comments:

Post a Comment