Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ballerina Afton

Afton got to participate in her first dance class these last 6 weeks and she was very excited.   (Let me clarify... it was supposed to be a 6 week long course but it turned out to be only 4 weeks. 1st week the teacher was sick so class was canceled. Then, MLK day canceled class because it is at a public rec center. Keep this in mind when viewing the performance. 3 weeks of practice & performance on week 4.)

It was so fun to sit outside and watch her. She had the biggest smile, as did I. Her mom, aka myself, has no "ballet/dance" experience so I called ahead to see exactly what she needed to wear. The nice young girl said, "Just wear some comfortable clothes. They don't need to be in ballet gear the first day, because the teacher will tell you what to buy." This was not true. I put my girl in at least a ballerina shirt, leggings that match, tights and ballet shoes.


 
 
After my girl got out of class, her tights had dropped down past her crotch just barely above her knees. I don't know how she could even walk, let alone do those crazy ballet moves her teacher was showing her. Plie´, Arabesque, Rond de jambes `a terre  - Yes this is all FOREIGN to me!!!!!!!!
 

Since my poor girl was the only one NOT wearing a beautiful leotard, the next day we went and bought her 2 of the prettiest ballerina leotards I could find. "Thanks so much mommy. Having these on will really help me twirl and flick my legs. Oh, I just feel so pretty."

 

 

 
 And she was pretty!

 
Jack was always a good sport. He and I would sit outside playing letter, color, and number games on my phone. Then when he got tired of learning, which was pretty quick, he would say, "I want soccer ball game mommy. This is boring!" Ahhh, just what any mother, who was a teacher, wants to her kid say about learning. :)

 
 
The day of her big performance was pretty busy. My poor girl didn't get routine nap so she passed out on the way to the rec center. When she woke up, she was so excited. "Let's do this mom. Let's go dance!" Jack followed with, "Yeah sister. Let's do this. GO dance like a girl."
 
 
Overall, it was a very fun experience. She loved it. She enjoyed sneaking in front of the girls in line. (Naughty) She enjoyed trying to sneak out of doing the entire stretch like she was supposed to. (Naughty) She enjoyed her teacher. (Nice) But most of all, she enjoyed dancing and felling pretty. (Nice)
 
 1st position
 Very distracted by us being in there.
 I LOVE this picture. Just wish you could see her pretty smile.
Fun memories!
 
The most special part of the night was that Daddy was able to be there. He had a GIGANTIC test that morning, so his brain was pretty fried. He needed this sweet little break. So did we.



She has signed up for the next session of ballet, because she loved it so much!

3 comments:

  1. Cute! Be sure to tell us when the next one is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Try posting the video on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh. she is so cute in those pictures, i can't handle it!

    ReplyDelete